Friday, July 2, 2010

Life Lesson - Self must Die

"What if God created Marriage to make us Holy more than to make us happy?"

I've been reading the book "Sacred Marriage", it's a very interesting read, although I don't agree with everything the author has to say the underling premise of the book, what if God created marriage to make us holy more than to make us happy, has caused me to think.

What is it we expect to get out of our early marriage relationship?  Why?  Is my marriage all about "me" what I can get, how Stephen can meet my needs and make ME happy?  

I've really begun to realize that when my focus is on me and my happiness that is when my marriage is (at least in my eyes) at it's worst.  I'm not trying to serve my family, but rather trying to get whatever I can from them.  This selfishness on my part is detrimental to not only my family and my marriage but my spiritual well being.

As I seek to love God more then and only then will I love my husband more.  As I seek to serve God more, then and only then will I be able to serve my family more.  Me is what most often gets in the way of my happiness!  For if I've learned any thing from being married for 2 1/2 years it's that happiness is never found where I think it should be.  I'm never truly happy when I selfishly demand my way, but rather true joy and happiness is found when I selflessly give of myself for God and my family.

I'm still a work in progress.  God has been showing me great pride and selfishness in my life.  And not only is he showing me that they exist but that he HATES them and if i'm going to follow him they must be purged from my life.

This is a painful process.  But one that with much prayer and guidance from the Lord I will be able to accomplish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment