Monday, September 12, 2011

Home Grown & Delicious!




We love to eat yummy food, who doesn't?  And this time of year offers a virtual goldmine of opportunity to eat healthy and spectacular food!  I love the challenge of trying to create an appetizing meal using only things I've grown myself  or been given from friends and families gardens.  Here is our dinner from the other night - homegrown free range chickens raised on my parents organic farm and butchered by my hubby, myself (yes i do help with the butchering - *gives self pat on the back :) and my dad and siblings.  
Fresh red potatoes dug from my daddy's amazing garden just an hour or so before dinner.
And Fresh from daddy's garden Zucchini grilled and topped with garlic and cheese. 

 I have also been experimenting with herbs the last couple of years, and just the other day I decided to harvest them all.   Here are all my herbs freshly picked and sitting on our dinning room table:













And here they all are hours later after being picked off the stems and laid out to dry:


I have been really enjoying cooking and baking with fresh herbs.  The taste is so much more poignant and bursting with flavor than anything you can buy from the store!   I didn't even realize what some herbs flavor really was, being as the dried little jars from the grocery store all kinda taste like dirty sticks :-)  I encourage any one with a pot and a window to try growing some fresh herbs - you will be amazed!

No comments:

Post a Comment